The Local Church
The First Foursquare Church in southeast Roanoke was birthed in 1936 through tent meetings held by Mrs. A. A. Carpenter. In August 1961, Ken and Betty Wright returned from Bible College and pioneered the Second Foursquare Church across town. The Second Foursquare Church established a child care center in 1972 that is still serving the community today. In the mid 70's the church's name was changed to Evangel Foursquare Church. In 1977 the two Foursquare churches merged and began meeting at the Bullitt Avenue location. From 1986-1997, Evangel owned and operated a full broadcast televison station WEFC Channel 38. In April 2006, the church and child care relocated to Vinton.
While the Church has undergone many changes in facilities, people and programs, the message of the Foursquare Gospel --- Jesus Christ Savior, Healer, Baptizer with the Holy Spirit and Soon Coming King --- has not changed.
The Foursquare Church
The Foursquare Church, officially named the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel (ICFG), is a Pentecostal denomination that resulted from the dynamic evangelistic ministry of Aimee Semple McPherson, who opened the historic Angelus Temple on Jan. 1, 1923. Currently The Foursquare Church has more than 1,700 U.S. churches; globally, The Foursquare Church has more than 66,000 churches and meeting places in 140 countries and territories. That is a significant impact in the 90 years since Angelus Temple opened in January 1923. For additional history: The Foursquare Church.